Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Bubble


My brother Gary teases me about living in a bubble. He's right. Today, someone burst my yoga buzz. The “bubble” remained intact.

This morning while washing cat dishes, I watched a scrub jay peck at the palm tree. I noticed something large walking at the top of the back yard. It’s a deer I thought and ran to grab my Iphone. The deer munched on bushes, as I snapped away. Several times, her round dark nose turned my way, as she continued to munch away. Within minutes, it sauntered over to the next yard. I sighed from relief knowing the lot leads to a canyon. Later, I realized I noticed the deer because I took time to gaze at the bird. It allowed me a rare opportunity to witness wildlife in those few short minutes. We only see deer, bobcats, sometimes raccoon or skunks a couple of times a year. Their presence tickles us and it is encouraging to know they’re still around.

Thursday is a particularly special day. I start with an inspiring yoga class then write at the studio. Before class, a woman introduced herself to me. “Hi, I’m Nancy. I’m visiting from Nebraska.”

“Welcome, I replied. I’m Michelle.”

Deva Premal’s soothing voice filled the room, as we rolled out our yoga mats. Treva started with slow movements, gradually leading to a quick flow of Downward Dog, Plank, and Upward Dog. Bending over, we rolled up one vertebra at a time like a strand of pearls. Turning to our right, we stepped out and reached down into Triangle pose. Standing in Mountain pose, arms stretched upwards and around, folding at our heart. At the end, we laid down in Shavasana calming our body and minds. Several minutes passed. I felt Treva step by me as she spritzed eucalyptus and lemongrass oil. A light mist covered my cheek.

“Wiggle your toes and fingers. Bring moisture to your mouth,” she said.

We rolled over to our right side and sat in Lotus position. “Thank you for being here with me, today.” Her eyes met each person’s in the room.

I bowed to her, “Namaste.”

We usually sit for a minute to relish the relaxation. Treva said to Nancy, “Take your time if you like.”

“It’s a special morning, I said. I saw a deer in my backyard.”

Nancy turned and looked at me.

“Can you believe it … here in Laguna?” I smiled like a child who had just seen Santa.

Without blinking she replied, “We hit deer with our cars, shoot them and eat them.”

The bubble burst. I could hardly speak. The anguished look on my face spoke volumes.

“Well, that’s what we do, she said. We hunt deer and eat them.”


I do not understand people who hunt. Their intention is completely opposite of mine. My respect for animals extends to the point that I choose not to eat meat. Ann and I talked about hunting, just last night, when she called from her hotel room in Houston. She couldn’t get into the hotel she normally stays at because The Rodeo is in town. Another “sport” I find cruel and senseless. I expressed sympathy for the calves and bulls that would be chased, captured, and roped up.

It’s true. I live in a bubble. I wrap precious layers of kindness, compassion, respect, and innocence protectively around me, and those I love. Through it, we can see the other side of humanity. It however is unable to penetrate our essence.


“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.´
-- Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment